Saturday, March 29

prayers for ethan...

As most of you know, it seems like since we've had Ethan we have gone ahead a few steps, only to fall back a couple. A few "red flags" have popped up in our heads as well as the gastroenterologist and our pediatrician lately. Ethan is scheduled to have a CT scan done of his brain April 14th. One reason they want to do this test is because his weight continues to decrease (percentage-wise) and his head circumference is steadily increasing. He is now down to the 2nd percentile for his weight and length, and in the 98th percentile for his head circumference. The doctors don't mind if he's small or large, just as long as he is somewhat proportionate. He is eating so much and is not gaining like they would like him to. Another red flag we've noticed is the fact that he's starting to spit up food again. He was doing so well for awhile and now he's bringing part of his food back up. The gastroenterologist said that the message to spit up is only sent from one of two places: the stomach or the brain. Well since we've checked his stomach and it is fine, we're now checking the brain. The third red flag is the fact that he is still not crawling, pulling himself up, or getting himself into a sitting position by himself. His gross motor skills are not where they should be. So....we're going to start with a CT scan and if needed get an MRI. He does have to be put to sleep and fast for six hours for the test. (I have to admit, I'm dreading it already) The main reason for this test is to see if there is any excess fluid on the brain causing the brain to swell, as well as to make sure there isn't a mass of some sort. We know God is totally in control and we will glorify Him through it all, no matter what the outcome. We sincerely appreciate your thoughts and prayers, and will keep you updated when we know anything new...

4 comments:

Ashley said...

We will be praying for you guys... I can only imagine how tough it must be.... I'll plan to call you soon to catch up more.... It seems like forever since I've heard your voice... We love and miss you guys!

Hummel Family said...

I am glad you posted on our blog! I will be sure to visit often, epecially now that Ethan will be going through all this testing. I am sure you are nervous, good parents always are! We will be PRAYING for Ethan and also for the two of you.

Dave & Patty Hoop said...

We will certainly keep little Ethan and both you and Josh in our prayers! We can only imagine how anxious you must be! (I visit your blogsite every week!)

Michael and Tara Watts said...

Julia,
I will definately be praying for you. I know God is in control and Ethan is his, you just get the joy of having him in your care.
If there is anything I can do, let me know. God bless, Tara